Dear House Freedom Caucus, Liberty Caucus, and American Voters:
Please use these FIVE TOUCHSTONE QUESTIONS to vet Republicans, especially those you deem worthy to become the Speaker of the House:
- What are you doing as a LEADER to cut taxes and spending and rein in the debt?
- What are you doing as a LEADER to limit the size and scope of the federal government and return authority to states and to the American people?
- What are you doing as a LEADER to get rid of Obamacare and promote health care solutions based on free enterprise, not government controls?
- What are you doing as a LEADER to protect America from foreign threats, secure the border, and develop a robust, principled foreign policy that puts America first?
- What are you doing as a LEADER to ensure that our judges and lawmakers uphold the Constitution of the United States, starting by halting executive overreach?
Then really vet the person’s voting record from a variety of consistently conservative sources because each scorecard has a variety of issues important to that organization:
Paul Ryan, based upon his demands for full support for himself without a public commitment to promote Consistent Conservatism and protect Consistent Conservative Values, is not for me.
Now, IF Paul Ryan will COMMIT OPENLY to the House Freedom Caucus list of demands, then yes. I could be flipped to CAUTIOUSLY support him. But in the back of my mind I worry if he will pull a Boehner-McConnell deception because of the Ryan Record. In the back of my mind I will always have this question: Will Ryan support and work with Ted Cruz or will he support Progressives against Consistent Conservative Values?
Here is what I expect out of a Speaker of the House for the Majority Party: Leadership.