Chelsea Park HOA vs First Amendment
Having lived in my “deed restricted” community since 2006 and having placed political signs in my yard each election cycle, and having seen political signs in my neighborhood all these years, guess what came in my mailbox this week?
So here is the June 1995 Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions of Chelsea Park, retrieved from the World Wide Web sign decree in this screenshot:
Who would ever think that section was meant to stifle free speech during an election cycle? Who would think that would be used to deny Chelsea Park Residents their First Amendment Right to place a sign to support of a Candidate during a Primary Election Cycle or to override the United States Constitution?
Seriously. When did the HOA decide to enforce this rule and apply it to Political Signs during a Primary Election Cycle? Especially THIS political cycle?
How is it the HOA allows that one can put up all sorts of holiday decorations and holiday signs throughout the year but not a Candidate sign during an election cycle? And how is it one can put up a Football or Baseball Team Flag but not a sign for a Candidate during an election cycle?
Did someone say Mother HOA, May I?
Perhaps I need to get a flag for my Candidate made and fly it from a flag pole like the Sport flags or banners I see in some yards. Or maybe getting a partial wrap on my truck so I can park it on the street or my driveway for my Candidate is in order?
Mother HOA, May I?
Oh wait. I hate that game. So allow me to #FrameTheDebate by asking some other questions:
- Why would any HOA Board of Directors stifle any resident from exercising the right and moral obligation to uphold civic standards by being Politically Active during any election cycle?
- Why has the HOA Board of Directors chosen this particular year to attack political yard signs during the most critical Republican Primary in Florida?
- Why, when my candidate’s sign has been up for over one month’s time, is this now an issue when Absentee/Early voting ballots are being sent out on January 30th?
- Did a neighbor complain?
- Does the current HOA Rule Enforcer have a Political Sign issue? (We all have our issues.)
- Was it the original intent of the Covenant/Rules writers to kill a homeowners unalienable right to exercise the 1st Amendment during any campaign season?
- How does the HOA pick and choose which signs are yard worthy for display outside of the for sale-for rent restriction?
Honestly, it has never occurred to me that placing my candidate(s) sign on my personal property during an election cycle was a violation of the sacred HOA covenants. After all, seasonal items are placed in someone’s yard all year round because like I said, we all have our issues that mean something to us in their season.